Know your roads

Lockyer Valley Regional Council is urging residents to visit its website to understand which level of government is responsible for certain roads. Picture: LVRC

Knowing which level of government holds responsibility for certain roads can be a confusing matter.

While a State Controlled Road (SCR) is a road declared to be controlled by the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR), a local government controlled road is a road that is owned or maintained by local government.

Lockyer Valley Regional Council CEO Ian Church said knowing where the responsibility lies for fixing a specific road often stumps many residents.

“That’s why we’re encouraging residents to visit our website and check out our handy lists of council-maintained and state government roads,” he said.

“In addition, while we understand the speed of road restoration works can be a cause of frustration for residents at times, be assured our crews are working as quickly as possible, while adhering to funding requirements and other required procedures.

“Council engages contractors to deliver specific roadworks at times when our own crews are flat out with other projects, rather than delaying works further.

“Similarly, there may be times when Transport and Main Roads (TMR) contracts work to council to deliver, so you may see our crews working on state roads, subject to the requirements of TMR.”

Mr Church said when sealed road repairs occur it is often a matter that takes more than one day to repair.

“This is due to a multitude of reasons including requirements around testing and curing, which is why you will then see crews return to the same pavement repair several times, prior to a final bitumen seal being applied,” he said.

“In the majority of instances, weather permitting, this process would be completed over a six-week period.”